Monday, October 17, 2011

Minky Minky Minky

I don't know why it's more fun to say it three times, but it is.  Minky Minky Minky.  I love this stuff.  So do my cats.  Minky is an outrageously soft synthetic fabric, with a fluffy feel.  People touch it and say "ooooooh", then rub it on their face.  Men, women, babies, cats, everybody.  It's irresistible.  This isn't heirloom stuff, but it has it's place.  I like using it as a backing for quilts that will be used for comfort, whether the quilt is meant for kids or adults. I've used it as a backing on 4 quilts and I'm sure I'll use it again.
The first was a baby quilt, made in lime greens and bright blues.  
I liked it so much I decided to put it on the back of a quilt I was making for myself!  I won these lovely blocks in a quilt forum lotto in 2010; because they were made by my quilting friends it is a comfort for me.  No matter how stressed out I may be, I can relax and nap with this Minky-backed quilt around my shoulders.  It's a nice size at 6'x3.5' and the bright yellow always lifts my spirits.  
A small lap quilt, backed with blue Minky, was made for a friend who was facing several trips to a hospital with her ill daughter.  I included a large tote, big enough to hold the quilt, her Kindle, snacks, etc. - whatever she may need to carry with her while her daughter was in treatment.  Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of that one. 

On the Oct 13, 2011 posting I showed a recent quilt, made for my nephew when he started his first year at college.  I used the same deep blue Minky on this one that I used on the lap quilt.  Once I had the body of this quilt done it didn't seem long enough, so I had to get a little creative with a top and bottom border.  Similar to a 'sidelights' style, I used bright squares and rectangles to extend it.  I like the addition and will do that again!

Minky, Minky, Minky!


No comments: