Monday, January 16, 2012

2012 Quilt Block Lotto

I'm having so much fun right now with a short term project!  I volunteered to manage the GardenWeb Quilt Forum's block lottery this year.  We post a block or a color theme each month and anyone on the forum can enter 1, 2 or 3 blocks for 1, 2 or 3 chances to win.  At the end of the month we hold a drawing.  Winner takes all!  

I discovered it was more difficult than I expected it to be to choose blocks and colors that I thought might have the most appeal.  They need to be complex enough to be interesting and to make a pretty quilt, but simple enough not to scare off the beginners.  This is a great way to learn new blocks so it's wonderful for beginning quilters.  But it's also a fun way to try new things and use up some stash, so it's great for experienced quilters as well.   Even a small winning of just 12 blocks can make a lap quilt, a donation project or be the basis for a larger quilt.  Some months there can be well over 20 blocks in the pot!  A couple years ago I won a navy blue & white lotto; I turned it into one of my favorite quilts with yellow sashing and a yellow Minky backing.  And of course it reminds me of all my quilter friends on the forum.  Can you tell that I love the lotto?!? 

To get the process started this year I have pledged to the group that I'll make 3 blocks each month.  And to help get them all interested and excited about it, I've already made everything through July and posted the pictures on GardenWeb.  Industrious, aren't I?  Really, I'm having so much fun with it I can't stop!

January (any block, in red & white)


February ("Contrary Wife" in rich jewel tones)

March ("Amish Diamond")



April ("Bento Box" in black/white and a bright)


May ("Next Door Neighbor" in red, blue and beige)


 June ("Log Cabin" in warm neutrals)

  

July (any star in blues & yellows)


2 comments:

Beth7Happy said...

The lotto blockos are beautiful, Kate! And such an inspiration, too! You make it enticing to play with fabrics and learn new things!! I can't wait to see pictures of the 'collected' blocks!

Kate said...

Thanks, Beth! I wanted to make it fun and to give newer quilters the confidence to give these blocks a try. Of course, I also want the finished quilts to be beautiful!