Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mini Quilts

Mini quilts?  In the past couple weeks I've often been asked what's a mini quilt and what do you do with one?  I'll admit I had the same reaction when I first saw them but I'm warming up to the idea.  First of all, a miniature is pretty much like a regular quilt, only it measures 20" or less on all sides.  It should have the same features as a regular quilt, just scaled back to make it look balanced and appropriate for the size.  Really skilled quilters can make them extremely small, but the smaller you go, the harder it is to get the details nice and sharp.  I've seen some at quilt shows that take your breath away because the pieces are so tiny and they are so perfectly made.


I decided to give it a try because my quilt guild has a show every two years and they use minis in an auction to raise money for guild projects.  They've asked each member to make twelve!  I don't think I can do that, but I can contribute a few.  Now that I've started, I'm having a blast with them and think I may do more than a few.  Maybe.  We'll see.  I've got until January 2013.


Oh yeah, I posted a two part question, didn't I?  The second part was 'what do you do with a mini quilt?'.  Honestly, I'm not entirely sure.  Maybe a cute little table topper.  Or hung on a wall, either with other small quilts or artwork, or in a small space all by itself.  Really small ones could be used in doll houses as bed quilts, wall hangings or even as tiny area rugs.  Adding a matte and frame would enhance any tiny quilt and show it off.  Of course, like any quilt, a mini would make a thoughtful gift.


I've made my first two and planning to do a couple more this month.  Both of these are embellished with beadwork and gold metallic thread for some of the quilting.   They were fun to make and I think I'm hooked!!!



This one is machine pieced and is 12 inches by 12 inches.



This one is hand appliqued and measures 19 inches by 19 inches.


No comments: